Monday, August 25, 2008

The Sun Also Rises...

A heartfelt discussion with my dear, long-suffering husband (when will you get a job, dear?) and Captain Creditcard has put me in a more optimistic frame of mind: how (he said - husband, not Cap'n Creditcard) about a part-time PhD? Half the yearly fees (just manageable if self-funded), five years minimum to complete, certainly less intense pressure. Why did this not occur to me before? Well, because if one wants serious funding, full-time is the best course of action. But that was not to be.
But part-time is better than no-time.... and besides, my offer is firm from the uni.
Sadly, my tiny daydream of a new all-singing, all-dancing, dedicated laptop and generous book fund has to go by the board, but hey!
So the coming weeks will see me filled with renewed optimism and cheerfulness. Things are looking up!

p.s. I might go and ogle Procopius' 'Anecdota' at The Book Depository...by way of a consolation present!!

No comments: