Friday, March 6, 2009

Grandparenthood


My new grandson has arrived! After a pretty tricky second-stage that required considerable assistance (all done with only gas and air -what a brave effort) he plopped out into the world yesterday evening weighing in at 9lb 5oz. No wonder his Mum struggled. I am immensely proud of all three of them (the partner was a rock throughout, bless him) and can't wait to see the new arrival tonight. Apparently he looks a bit like a prop-forward at the moment, sort of squish-nosed and monobrowed. Only temporary I hope!

It's bringing out all those deeply-buried maternal feelings: I haven't been able to think of anything else all day. I do hope I don't turn into one of those soppy old ladies that whip out photos at the slightest provocation. I think I'll have to cultivate an air of eccentricity - smoke a pipe, as a friend recommended - maybe wear some sort of headgear, or feathers, or become a spy as a bit of a smokescreen to disguise my doting.

No comments: